Friday, December 2, 2011

Mama La Vida Lanka: Thoughts on Giving Birth


photo of an amazonite borrowed from crystal-cure.com


I was asked by hubby’s boss one day how do I feel about giving birth.  My answer was “surprisingly, I am quite calm and confident about it.”  I am not afraid of the pain – I mean it’s a given so why stress over it right?  I am quite impatient about it though – or at least the part I hate the most is not knowing when will be the day.  Haha!  Or I’m stressing over my nesting instincts and the gazillion of items on my home to do list in preparation of our baby (more on this next!).  Other than that, there seem to be a sense of calm and serenity washing over me about the coming of our baby.  Hubby and I can’t help but feel so excited for her coming!

I learned from birthing class that your experience of birth depends on your mindset.  If you go into the process with positive vibes, then your experience will be a more pleasant experience than coming into it all paranoid and thinking of the worst possible scenario.  Our teacher, upon one classmate’s question on worse-case scenario was like, “don’t even go there.”  True.

A close friend of mine, A, also has a good point.  She said that she believes her body knows what to do and will do it during delivery.  So have no fear!  She had a 3-hour labor sans epidural.  It can be done!

Our teacher also gave us 3 things to give us “strength”:
  1. Our own power word – You make your own of course!  Mine is “CAN!” I want to enter that delivery room with all the can-do attitude I can muster!
  2. Amazonite for the Mommies – “Amazonite is a soothing stone.  It calms the brain and nervous system and aids in maintaining optimum health.  Balances the masculine and feminine energies.  Amazonite helps you to see both sides of a problem or different points of view.  It soothes emotional trauma, alleviating worry and fear.  Dispels negative energy, aggravation and blockages within the nervous system.  Amazonite assists in manifesting universal love.  It protects against electromagnetic pollution and absorbs microwaves (http://www.charmsoflight.com/amazonite-healing-properties.html).”
  3. Lavender Tea Light for the Daddies – To relax and calm, although this is for the pre-delivery room stage!  I don't think they'd let you burn candles in the birthing room :-(
I believe during the last 9 months I have prepared for this – not in a control-freak kind of way but prepared myself to go into the process.  I have been eating healthily (most of the time, ok fine!), managing stress and stressors, exercising, praying and psychologically gearing up for the occasion.  At the end of the day, I have my life’s calming presence and my biggest source of strength by my side, my hubby.  And to support both of us, the strongest woman I know, my own mother.

Birthing?  Game on!

Oh and while we wait, let’s have a little fun!  Join the Birthing Game!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...